Joburg Pride 2011 – ready for take off!
Bigger and better Joburg Pride 2011 – ready for take-off!
The countdown has begun for this weekend’s Joburg Pride 2011, on Saturday, 1 October – bigger and better than ever! Organisers are expecting more than 20,000 participants to take place in Africa’s largest celebration of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender life.
BIGGER AND BETTER INFRASTRUCTURE!
Generous sponsorship from forward-thinking global and local companies and bold-name media brands – including Play Energy Drink (Coca-Cola) as its headline sponsor and Jacaranda 94.2 as its media sponsor. Other blue-chip sponsors include SAB-Miller, Cell C, Lufthansa, Swiss Air and DGB, as well as innovative SMEs including Maverick, Blue
Pebble Consulting and Symbology Consulting. Joburg Pride is also supported by the City of Joburg, the JMPD, Think Bike, the Zoo Lake Sports Club, South Point and Hotel Lamunu – ensures the Joburg Pride team has improved its already impressive infrastructure, with upgraded elements including:
• Secure parking for more than 8,000 vehicles – simply follow the field marshalls.
• A large cleaning team will be cleaning through the day both the Zoo Lake Sports
Club, Zoo Lake parking and the route – keeping local residents happy, while
keeping Pride ‘clean and green’.
• A bigger and streamlined bar with over 60 bar-staff to facilitate efficient service to the community.
• Two PinkMoney points, streamlining the bars and catering sales – only PinkMoney tokens will be accepted.
• Increased dining options – traditional catering rounded out by sushi, pizza and vegetarian options.
BIGGER AND BETTER COMMUNITY SPIRIT!
This year’s community market and community village will be located adjacent to the Zoo Lake Sports Club, with more than 50 stall holders, while there is HIV testing and LGBTIfriendly interest at the Community Village.
Joburg Pride also has an official merchandise stand this year with a limited range of clothing. Proceeds from the sale of gay flags (R20 each) will benefit Luleki Sizwe (see: www.lulekisizwe.com) – a non-profit charity for South African lesbians fighting ‘corrective rape’; its founder, Ndumie Funda, will be Joburg Pride’s special guest on the day.
BIGGER AND BETTER ENTERTAINMENT!
This year’s entertainment line-up features a headline-grabbing line-up of local and international acts including the world’s number-one female DJ, UK-based Lisa Lashes, on the decks, with stage-burning performances by Jozi-based songbird Lira; rock act Kinky Robot; heart-throb singer George Meiring; as well as fabulous DJs and drag acts.
And, just announced: Joburg Pride 2011’s stage will shine even brighter with just announced performances from the two remaining Idols South Africa finalists on Saturday, 1 October – so you can expect crowd-wowing performances from a paired combination of super-pipes Crushanda, über-intense Dave or belt-it-out Mark. All made waves on Sunday’s show, with Crushanda delivering a show-stopping rendition of the Weather Girls’ gay anthem, It’s Raining Men. It will be their last public performance prior to the final Idols show-down on Sunday evening, 2 October.
Look out for the Cell C and Sansui Summer Cup activations on the field and sign up for the raffle to win two tickets to London Pride 2011, sponsored by Lufthansa and Swissair, or a flat-screen TV from Sansui! Joburg Pride, now in its 22nd year, promises to be bigger and better than ever – be there!
JOBURG PRIDE 2011 – FAST FACTS:
• Venue: Zoo Lakes Sports Club, Parkview, Johannesburg.
• Times: Gates will open from 8am and the Parade will start at 11am.
• Entertainment will take place at the Zoo Lake Sports Club from the morning and gates and stage will close at 6pm.
• Joburg Pride is providing buses from Soweto, Tembisa and Mamelodi – buses leave their pick-up points at 9am and will depart Zoo Lake at 6pm.
• Note: From 2.30pm Joburg Pride reserves the right to close the gates to newcomers. This will be for safety and security reasons and so as not to go over our maximum capacity for the venue.